6. One week, Kristi worked 3 days at a department store for 3 1/2 h each day. She was paid $9/h. a) How many hours did Kristi work that week? Show your thinking.
Kristi worked for 10 1/2 hours that week.
b) How much did Kristi earn that week?
Kristi earned $94.50 that week.
7. Jupiter completes about 2 2/5 rotations every 24 hours (an Earth day). How many rotations does Jupiter complete in one Earth week? Show your thinking.
Answer: Jupiter completed 16 4/5 rotations in one Earth week.
8. A sailboat is sailing at 8 1/2 km/h. If the weather conditions and the current do not change, how far will the sailboat travel in 1 1/3 h? Show your thinking.
9. The distance to Grandma's house is 4/5 of the distance to Uncle Glen's house. If Uncle Glen's house is 3 1/2 hours away, how long will it take to get to Grandma's house if you travel at the same speed? Answer: It would take 2 8/10 hours to get to grandma's house.
10. It takes 3/5 of a tank of gas to get to work and back each day. How much gas is used over 5 work days? Show your thinking. Answer: 3 tanks of gas are used over 5 work days.
11. Owen is 2 1/4 times as old as Robin. When Robin celebrates his 8th birthday, how old will Owen be? Answer : Owen will be 18 years old.
12. The karate club is arranging a grading for its members. It takes 3 1/4 hours to test a group of 4 candidates. How long will the club need the gym in the order to process 3 groups of 4 candidates each? Answer : The club will need 9 3/4 in order to process 3 groups of 4 candidates.